Monday, December 12, 2005

What the hell?

So I may or may not have mentioned this in a earlier post but I go back to school in Jan so that I can be a Paramedic (thats and ACP to all you easterns and an EMT Advanced to some of you yankies). So since i'm going back to school of course I need textbooks. Why the hell do they cost so much? I had a prof at university who has written part of a text book that we had to use in his class. The book was $130 new, now he receaved a check for $0.20 a month for all his hard work on this book, so obviously the money isn't going to the writers so where the hell is it going. Now anyone in medicine can agree with me on this, why are our textbook and the such more expensive than everyone elses. Now I know that some of you other people are going to agrue with this but me and my medicine buddies know it is true. Example, I have to buy this little pocket guide on ECG's it is pocket sized and probably about 30 pages, and it is going to set me back $65.50. How? Why? What is going on? Someone is getting rich and it isn't me, espically when I have to pay crazy prices like that. So this is my note to textbook companies, Stop ripping me off you bastards.

9 Comments:

At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like everything in life ... it's all about the conspiracy.

Nothing in life can be fair ... that'd make things to easy and wonderful.

It's the cycle of screwing.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Herald said...

Its all about Supply and Demand there ser. Not a lot of demand ... price goes up.

I know your pain though. Math/Stats books are terrible for this as well. Small hardcover book of no more than a hundred pages or so sell for over $160. Ewwww.

Morgan

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I hate to break it to you, its not just medicine text books its all text book.

$106 for a history text i have never opened!!
$90 for a USED sociology text!!!

Then I found Chapters.ca half the price and delivered to my door (well the mailbox down the street)

 
At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen the cost of law text books?

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Erie said...

But Paul, these sacred texts are ones we are going to refer to "forever" (until the newest edition comes out in your last year of school and ALL the profs you have "urge" you to buy the new version - it has three extra words in the last chapter that the older edition was missing.)

And maybe it's not just Medicine texts, but I think we have a larger volume to buy! (Can anyone say that they spent $5000+ on textbooks alone for FOUR YEARS of school?)

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger "Steve Smith" said...

" Its all about Supply and Demand there ser. Not a lot of demand ... price goes up."

Actually, you have it backwards. All else being equal, a decrease in supply *lowers* prices, it doesn't raise them.

I believe the concept you're thinking of is "economies of scale".

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Herald said...

"I believe the concept you're thinking of is "economies of scale"."

Haha - well you caught me. I'm no economist - but I knew there was something there that applied :)

Morgan

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

One could also say that a decrease of supply that has led to a near monopoly of the market coupled with an always present demand that can't choose to substitue goods makes textbook companies evil.

And spending ~$1000 for texts for one semester was really bad.

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Britt said...

Physics book $350! That was a kick in the teeth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counters